We don’t just build personal relationships with our Elite Guests, we also build trust! As your #1 Sacramento area resource for hair loss, wigs, and non-surgical hair restoration options, it is our ongoing mission to provide you with valuable, reliable, and up-to-date information and education. After all, we want you to look your very best, each and every day, and we want you to get the most out of your personal investment.
Is Synthetic Hair Like Regular Hair?
Because synthetic wigs are not made with real human hair, it is important that you understand the differences from human hair wigs and even your own hair. Synthetic hair utilized in making synthetics wigs are man-made fibers. These strands do not get the natural oils from the scalp like your own natural growing hair, and it does not need to be washed quite as often. That doesn’t mean however, that synthetic wigs don’t require specific care.
Elite Hair Loss Solutions recommends that you wash your synthetic wig once, for every 6-8 times you wear it. If you wash it too often, you risk compromising the fibers which will decrease its life span. If you don’t wash it often enough, oil and sweat will build up inside the cap and can break down the fibers and affect the life span also. You will want to use our recommended wig-care products that are designed specifically for synthetic wigs. (We enthusiastically recommend the Jon Renau Synthetic Wig care line of products!)
It is vital that you avoid regular off-the-shelf hair products as they are not designed specifically for synthetic fibers. Doing so, will cause build up on the wig, dulling the fibers and shortening its life span. Use only brushes and combs designed for synthetic wigs and never brush or comb your wig when it is wet. You also need to avoid high heat sources like ovens, stoves and barbeques. Unless your synthetic wig is labeled as a heat friendly product, use of heated styling tools like flat irons, curling irons or hot rollers will cause irreparable damage your synthetic wig. These following easy steps will help you get maximum wear out of your synthetic wig purchase.
Washing Your Synthetic Wig
- Before washing gently brush or comb all the tangles out
- Using wig shampoo only mixed in a basin or sink, submerge the wig for one minute and agitate gently, do not rub
- Run your fingers gently over the cap where your forehead touches, removing all oils and sweat
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water in a basin or under running cold water in the sink
- Do not squeeze or ring only blot with a towel
Conditioning Your Synthetic Wig
- While still wet from washing, apply a small amount of wig conditioner to your hands and carefully work it through the hair
- Avoid the cap area and all hand tied areas of the cap, conditioner can loosen hand tied knots causing hair loss
- Rinse thoroughly under cold running water
Drying Your Synthetic Wig
- Blot excess water with a towel, never squeeze or ring
- Remember to never use a hair dryer because of the heat and never comb or brush your wig while it is wet.
- Air dry your wig on a wig stand, they allow air to circulate reaching all surfaces. Do not use a Styrofoam head, they will stretch your wig and do not allow for airflow.
- You can gently shake your wig and run your fingers through the hair but do not style until it is completely dry.
- Do not dry in direct sunlight, it should completely dry overnight.
Just Shake and Go!
- Synthetic wig fibers have memory built in and require little or no styling
- Gently shake the wig and it should return to its original style
Following these simple steps will help to ensure your synthetic wig has a full life and in turn, will provide you the best value for your money. Of course, should you need assistance, Elite Hair Loss Solutions offers in-house service and personal education for any wig purchased through us.
Our Elite Team Members are Ready to Assist You!
Whether you are new to wigs or need assistance with a wig or hair topper purchase, your trusted hair restoration experts at Elite Hair Loss Solutions can help. We offer an extensive selection of synthetic and human wigs as well hair toppers for purchase and professional guidance to make sure your purchase is the right one for you! Contact us today to schedule your private, complimentary consultation appointment.